Tuesday, November 02, 2004

38-425

So maybe it wasn’t so clear whose fault it was, but at this point they had temporarily set aside blame-shifting to allow the reality of the situation to sink in:

1. The time machine had been real.
2. The time machine had worked.
3. The time machine had worked too well.

"It is kind of a coincidence that we all grew up in the same city," Meghan finally said. They’d been sitting together on the ground for almost an hour without speaking, and they were surprised that she was the one to break the silence.

Aaron was mildly amused. "Decided it’s not a dream, then?"

She smiled weakly. "I mean, I guess... two days...." She stretched forward, grabbing her ankles. "And I kind of like being able to touch my toes again."

“That’s right, the bright side.” Neil stood up. “The bright side...” he repeated to himself. “The bright side is that I’m soaking wet, I’m freezing cold, and I haven’t eaten for two days. And my pants don’t fit anymore,” he added as he tugged at his waistline. “If you want to sit here and talk about how bizarre this all is.... But I say we find our houses and see if we can sneak something to eat.”

“Isn’t there something about not meeting yourself if you go back in time, in case you blow up the Universe?”

Everyone turned to Erin. “Oh, come on,” Neil snapped. “You get your physics from stupid movies? Do you think anyone in Hollywood actually went back in time? They didn’t even realize time travel would change your own age!” And with that he pushed his way out of the bushes.

It was midday and the sky was overcast, but the rain had stopped for a while, and the rest of them decided to follow Neil out from their shelter. “Dude, nothing’s going to get better if you’re just gonna freak out all the time,” Erin shouted after him.

“Don’t bother,” Aaron said. “He’ll cool down on his own time, and not sooner.”

“We’re not too far from my house, guys.” Meghan picked a twig out of her hair. “My parents....” She paused. “And myself... no one should be home right now, and I think I remember where we hid the spare key.”

Neil kept his distance. “Fine. Lead the way.”

2 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this story needs some conflict to hook me in as a reader; the time machine part is good. Philip K. Dick let you know what was up within the first few paragraphs. Please continue...

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Emily K said...

I completely agree about the need for conflict. To be honest, I'm not sure how to create it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home